So, you have decided to dabble in accepting guest blogging. Perhaps you have accepted posts, but have been only accepting the articles via email and posting them yourself.
You are making more work for yourself.
Guest blogging is like regular blogging… it should not be a chore. You should be accepting posts, reviewing, and publishing, so streamline your work.
Here are ways to prepare your site for guest bloggers:
- Create a page just for Guest Writing. It can be “Guest Blog Here”, “Guest Write Here”, “Submit Your Article”, or whatever. That page needs to have your requirements and how a person can submit their post.
- Secure Your WordPress Site. You are opening your site to people. Make sure to try to keep your WordPress installation up-to-date and make sure you keep an eye on who registers on your site.
- Install the Role Manager Plugin for WordPress… that is, if you are using WordPress. You will be able to specify exactly what capabilities your guest bloggers will be allowed to do on your site.
- Create an Author Box for your posts. Forget bylines when the author box can be filled out by your guest bloggers filling out their WordPress user information. This is where they can promote their own sites or businesses they work for.
- Create an Author Page for your guest bloggers. If you have a few regular guest bloggers, this is a nice page for your guest bloggers to bring back to their own site to promote.
- Promote that your site is open. It might be once a week you have to mention it, but it is necessary. People need reminding and while they may not jump for the chance immediately, they may sometime down the line.
While I would put in the list Adsense revenue sharing, I am going to leave that as optional as that is more of a personal choice rather than something that is truly necessary.
What other resources should site owners use when preparing their site to accept guest bloggers?