Have you ever been told that your site was very cluttered? What does that mean? Does it mean you have too many graphics or it just seems everything runs into each other. A website almost seems as if talking about a bedroom. Indeed, a website can be compared in some ways to your bedroom. It is your place online and you are letting people in to see it. So think about it: Do you want people to see your messy room?
Now, when tidying up your site, it boils down to harnessing the whitespace and filling it in a way that is not cluttered of disorganized. Now, you do not have to totally sacrifice design. You do have to consider what items could either be removed, or what items can be moved to its own page. Organization is extremely important.
Below are just some pointers when it comes time to clean your site up.
- You do not have to put every social site account you belong to.
- You also do not have to put your link exchange buttons to friends sites. Put their text link instead on a special page or put a blogroll for your sidebar.
- You do not have put put all your information about yourself on the sidebar. You can focus on putting that on the about page .
- Divide your site into the specific categories or page sections which are more relevant to your site. If you have a lot of visitor items, a long page that is named ‘visitor’ containing every single item can be daunting to your audience. Also the title is very vague. Make it unique.
- Make sure to hook yourself up with a sitemap. A sitemap will list all your pages and posts in case they cannot find what they are looking for by normal means (ex. through your site search bar, or your navigation)
Of course, in the end, make sure your site is how you want it to be. Just like a bedroom, you control your site’s look.