Your blog is usually something you write that comes from your experience and interests. Blogs can be written to any number of subjects from medical to sports, and even art to technology. There is always a rumor that a blog with a wide variety of subjects is not worth the time to read. This is of course, only a rumor. A blog can be about anything as long as it is somehow relatable to your readers.
Who are your readers? Well, when you made a site, you had to have thought of who you wanted to connect with online to share your interests and experiences. Of course, with many subjects, you have to do more work in spreading your word, especially if you want to have some traffic. However, for those who are just wanting to have a blog or already have one, but really do not know what to do in order to make a focus on their blog, try to answer these questions for yourself:
- 1. Who do you want to read your blog? What type of people and what age group do you want your blog to be available to?
- 2. What are your interests? Are they relatable? Can you research and give more information on the subject for your reads to find out more? Are you wanting to just have a special interest blog that only focuses on one thing? Do you want to provide a blog that elaborates on many subjects? In general, what type of site do you want to have?
- 3. How much traffic do you want to your site? Are you wanting to make money? Do you want to give away things for free?
Your content is one of the most important things that attract people to keep coming to your site, even if it is just for you to make friends in your targeted age group. The best ways to help your visitors know what to expect are several things:
- Make a navigation that is clear and concise on what to expect in the site. This gives them a way to navigate the site so make sure it can be reached from any part of your website.
- Make categories that your readers can click on or look through a drop down and go to those areas they are interested in reading.
- Put a search attribute on your site for your readers to be able to search for things within your site’s content.
- Tag clouds are an iffy matter as some can have over 100 words and look a bit cluttered, but if you have a site that have under 50 tags, then you place one. It works like the search and your categories in allowing your readers to click on the tag of interest they want.
- Try to post related links within your site or to other sites that will allow you to give more information to your readers. Your readers will thank you for being resourceful.