There are a lot of good and bad things about guest blogging. Some blog owners are not certain if it is something they want to take on, so I have put together some pros and cons. As a side note, I accept guest posts, but I am very picky about what cannot go into an article so it remains pure of spam.
The Good of Guest Blogging
- You get free content to share with your readers.
- You get some extra time to either write future articles, and even network with readers.
- You are building a good relationship with other bloggers in your niche and overall blogging community, even helping some bloggers gain a better reputation.
- You learn a lot from your guest bloggers through the new topics they bring for you to publish onto your site.
The Bad of Guest Blogging
- You open up your blog to possible security issues, especially if your site is not set with roles for users to deny access to specific areas of the website.
- You open your site up to spammers. This works in two ways. The first is if spammers registered with your site and the second is from guest writers trying to sneak in articles that are spam.
- You will have to check articles and spell check. From experience, I have had to correct some spelling and grammar problems.
- You may have to seek out or create thumbnail issues and format articles to fit with your blog’s style. For example, you might have to set keywords, and make sure html heading tags are properly done.
Guest blogging does take a little more time. It is nearly like the old days of getting a job when you walk in a place, say you want to get hired, and usually after a brief interview, you might be given the job. In this case of guest blogging, it is signing up to a site or contacting the website owner, submitting the article, and then waiting for it to be approved to be published.
Not everyone has the time, but those who do, guest blogging can be a blast. I have learned a few new things from all of my guest writers and for me, that is a huge thing. I know I am not the only person who things so.
Deciding whether guest blogging is for your website is not to be an intimidating decision. Consider what time you have and the direction you want your site to take. If you are not sure, discuss it with someone in your niche who does have their site open to guest blogging and see what they suggest.
If you have guest blogged or are a site owner of a website that allows guest posts, what are the good and bad of guest blogging that you have discovered by experience?