With the passing of Michael Jackson in mid 2009, there has been an amazing thing. People are showing their concerns for Michael Jackson and spreading news via Twitter, Facebook, blogs, normal online news sites, and more.
Of course, Michael Jackson has always been someone to talk about. He was a very influential man within pop culture. For decades he has been a celebrity. People grew up to him on television and through music. People even grew up with his family too. I remember when I was young that my father use to blast his Thriller album loudly. I cannot forget it even though I was so young at the time.
Music artists across many genre have publicly said that his music and dancing influenced some of their work at one point or another. Although the majority of his life was without the social media that exists today (like the internet), he stuck to several principles when in the public eye.
- He was true to himself even if some decisions were not accepted by others.
- He influenced others and became an expert to others who were in the same industry.
- He had a team of people besides himself at getting the word spread about his music.
- He was consistent with his music and dancing by breaking new barriers and delivering a better song each time.
- He successfully branded himself not just as a person, but on a business level too!
So before his official site or fan club ever came online, he was already a social media expert. Of course, it cost him money, but he connected with those who could help him on his journey. Michael Jackson will always be remembered for his work.
What will you remember about him? How can you use his successful climb in social media to influence your own?