Having a blog is a wonderful tool. It opens the possibility for the writer to give a piece of their mind to the world. However, for those starting out and not knowing what to do, it can be frustrating. Some bloggers just have a web journal to post their daily ramblings without expectations of driving traffic to their websites. This article is for those who want traffic and wonder what they can do to set their site a bit above others.
Of cource, there are naysayers in blogging that do not wish to have content, but really, how interesting is a site with just a blog and nothing interesting to learn? Publishing content does not have to involve allowing visitors to download graphics or programs, but it is a plus. It is all about sharing quality information.
Here are some tips.
1. Write what you know and are interested in doing. There are so many hobbies and activities that the topic possibilities are literally endless. Some people feel like this tip would interfere with their privacy. It may, but it also depends on how it is written and what the subject may be about. If a person knows their business is going to have easy access. Do not blog defamatory statements about work. Writing about the people and situations at work are fine and may lead to some backlash, but on a legal standpoint, if the information is not libelous about the persons and events stated, and the company is in no way used in a defamatory manner, then by all means, write away.
2. Write in-depth articles. Do not leave an issue unexplained or open-ended.
3. Write frequently. The more you write, the more the search engines will crawl your site and index your pages with the updates.
4. Do not write to stuff your content section. Stuffing content is easy to spot as most articles will be written poorly and hold no genuine information for a visitor to bring away from the site.
5. Do not be afraid to use outside sources to help your articles. No one is perfect or knows everything, so linking resources are a nice way for your visitor to read information, and in the end, your article will not be open-ended.
6. Do not write fad articles. Be unique! Fad articles are articles that are seen a lot and give very little information that is different from one site to the next. If you write on a particular subject that might be considered a fad article, make it yours if you know something that no other has addressed on that same subject and convey it in a way that does not make it sound monotonous.
Content is important. Within the content a search engine like Google can index a site and make the site easily accessible. So, in the end, be unique, write frequently, and write proudly!
How do you keep your content unique?