Mastering social media marketing is often a sore spot for business owners trying to build a brand online. The problem on why you may be failing as a brand in social media, is that most of it revolves around lack of knowledge, or when they have access to the right knowledge in social media marketing, not applying some type of strategy.
In fact, it often becomes a waste… of both money and time. Some businesses that fail in social media because:
- You didn’t utilize search to seek out people in your niche.
- You post infrequently on your social handles.
- You don’t offer anything of value on your website.
- You don’t practice the 80/20 rule.
- You don’t practice the Rule of 7.
- You did search and following, but are playing the shy game by not reaching out to those people.
One lady I worked with runs an architecture blog and has some major white papers for universities on various architecture subjects. Not only did she not research her audience and follow them as well as many of her peers, she did not reach out to them at all. Since pointing this out, she’s finally reached out, and her traffic has risen drastically, and that traffic includes some of the critics out there in her niche.
So in getting back to some of the reasons why businesses may be failing as a brand in social media, each have a solution.
You didn’t utilize search to seek out people in your niche.
Most social networks have some type of search in place that allow you to look up specific topics, people, things, places, online communities, and more. All you have to do is search!!!
You post infrequently on your social handles.
If you’re posting once a week, that is still infrequent. In fact, you’re not utilizing your full potential to flex your knowledge in your niche.
You don’t offer anything of value on your website.
You’ve places the bare minimum content on your website. While some people get the gist of what you’re offering, you offer nothing to keep them coming back, or even of value that visitors can take away to tell others. It’s fine to want to sell and make money, but really, that lackluster minimal approach to your product may not compete against someone who has created content to wow their visitors and build that trust people are looking for.
You don’t practice the 80/20 rule.
If you’re only tooting your own horn, that can be a problem. There’s a rule called the 80/20 rule in which 80% of the time, you’re suppose to share content from other resources. The other 20%, you share yours. The content you pick to share should help build your authority and knowledge if you want to be focused on building your brand.
You don’t practice the Rule of 7.
The Rule of 7 basically states that in order for another person to react to your message, they must see it at least 7 times. This may mean posting the message on several social networks, and at different times of the day. If your target audience is worldwide, scheduling your message to be seen by the other side of the world might be ideal. This also gives you the excuse to flex the 80/20 rule.
You did search and following, but are playing the shy game by not reaching out to those people.
If you’re building a business and a brand, you’re going to have to reach out to people. You will never know what people are interested in, or grow if you’re going to be shy. If you can’t do it, hire a virtual assistant that is experienced in social media marketing.
Some people are uncomfortable with engagement and believe it that they may irritate their followers. That’s not true. You don’t have to be in everyone’s face to get your point across. That’s why the 80/20 rule works so well. 😉
If you’re having problems, look at this list and see what your current social media marketing strategy is missing. If you’re still having problems, look at things like your target audience. Don’t be afraid to put out a survey to ask people on how you can improve. Also, don’t be afraid to seek out business and social media groups on Facebook and Google+ to get feedback amongst peers.
Are you having problems succeeding as a brand in social media? If so, what questions do you have? Are you executing many of the points in your own social media marketing plan like the ones listed above?